Often considered as the most difficult forms of essay writing, an art essay has to address the question of artistic temperament with great care. The most important thing to consider is the appropriate choice of subject. It becomes a daunting task if the writer is unfamiliar with the field chosen. Make the description vivid and ensure that the artist in question is properly researched. Let us now look at some of these points in greater detail.
- Choosing the domain: The first step is to choose a domain of art that you are comfortable with. Always choose an appealing genre like visual art, music or literature. Based on your subject knowledge you can accurately represent not only your own ideas but also the artist’s portrayal..
- Effective research: Research the topic that you have chosen extensively and intensively before you go about writing the art essay. It helps for you to gather information from books, journals, libraries and online databases. Websites also provide valuable information that will help with the overall essay. Load your essay with information that you can easily find on sites and online libraries.
- Express creative ideas: Be creative and express your ideas flexibly. Always remember that it is art you are talking about, write freely about how the piece under consideration makes you feel. Be bold in your approach and do not hesitate to include illustrations in the body of your text. Apart from the basic parts, namely the introduction, body and conclusion you can easily brighten the text up by quoting excerpts and including references of prominent critics.
- Be assertive about your understanding: Easier said than done, it is not so simple to assert your notion into the frame. Compare your assertion to writing a thesis statement; it will give you the freedom to express your thoughts on the subject at hand. Do not hesitate to be critical of the artist if the need arises it will solidify your understanding of the subject.
- Remember the basics of essay structure: Remember that you still have to stick to the basics of essay structure. Address the key issues at the beginning when you introduce the topic, make sure that the introduction does not contain argumentative sentences. Express your understanding in the body of the essay. You can also include examples and give counter arguments. Remember that it is in the body that you can freely discuss the topic. The conclusion has to discuss the answers to any questions that rise in the reader’s mind. An art essay is incomplete without a proper conclusion.
- Proofread and edit: Always make it a point to proofread and edit your piece. An art essay like any other form of essay can very well be rewritten if the need arises.
Be sure to refer to external sources so you can provide the best updated information. An art essay needs to be closely associated to the writer in order to make it highly effective.